Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Trails, Houdini.


I hope you find the peace you're seeking, dear girl.



Lonesome Dove became part of my past this week. I envision for her a man walking into the shelter who has both a gentle hand and a mind set on a sharp hunting dog he can wander his hundred wooded acres with, scouring brush and hole for small edible creatures. When he heads to town, she'll be so captivated by flora and fauna, her senses will be overwhelmed and unable to grip her sensitive mind with worry. He'll return home and she'll stretch out inside on a lovely pelt, taking breaks to sniff a satisfying square footage of old hardwood full of years of other critter feets' history. And maybe... she'll get to snack on the spoils of her kill.

I wasn't prepared for Dove when she arrived, but I welcomed her and made myself open to all she brought... the tender moments alongside the indescribably infuriating. Four months later, I am not the same person. I can't say whether she'll truly be better off for having known me, but honestly - I am a better person for her having shown me myself.

So long Lonesome Dove, you High Desert Houdini. May your future be footloose and fence-free.







1 comment:

  1. Sam and I are looking at these pictures of his mama, and I'm telling him how glad I am for her because she brought me such a sweet boy. I hope she finds a good home with lots of room to roam.

    ReplyDelete